Sonia Cortés is the Head of the Barcelona office of Abdón Pedrajas – one of the largest Employment and Labor Law boutiques in Spain. She is also head of the firm’s international Employment and Labor Law department.
Her practice focuses on providing counsel to national and international businesses, with operations in Spain, on complex restructuring projects, collective redundancy plans, transfers of undertaking (mergers and spin-offs), drafting negotiation and termination of senior executives in addition to advising on a range of many other employment and labour law matters.
She is recognized for her work in the field of Spanish Employment and Labour Law by leading international legal guides which say:
- “Sonia Cortés advises on restructurings, redundancy plans and transfers of undertakings. Interviewees say that she is “responsive, clear and easy to work with.” She is a key contact for the firm’s international client base and has additional experience in executive terminations.”
– Chambers Europe 2017
- “Sonia Cortés is known for workforce restructuring and is recommended for her language abilities, contacts and international work.” Sources praise her friendly nature and availability, saying that “she gives really good explanations.”
– Chambers Europe 2016
- “She provides clear and pragmatic advice, and is calm and pleasant to deal with.”
– Chambers Europe 2015
- “Sonia Cortés maintains a good reputation in the market.
Peers highlight her international outlook and technical proficiency as key strengths”.
– Chambers Europe 2014
- “Sonia Cortés has a wealth of experience in the market”.
– Chambers Europe 2013
In addition, Sonia is regularly recognized as a leader in her field by independent international legal guides such as Who’s Who Legal, Best Lawyers, and Expert Guides.
She is a lecturer at the ESADE International Business Law School for their Employment Law and International Business Law Masters courses.
- Senior executive agreements
- Social aspects of corporate transactions
- Employment Litigation
- Restructurings & Reorganisations
- Transfers of Business Across Borders
- Transfers of People Across Borders
- ABA – American Bar Association
- EELA – European Employment Lawyers’ Association
- IBA – International Bar Association
- UIA – Union International d’Avocats (Vice-President)
- Evade Executive School – Postgraduate Degree in Employment Law 2011
- Escuela Internacional de Negocios de Madrid – MBA 1997
- University of Barcelona – J.D. 1988
- College of Europe, Belgium – Certificate in European Law Year?
- Certificate in English Law, City of London Polytechnic University – 1987